US Sanctions Russian Firm for Helping N. Korea Evade Sanctions

The United States has slapped sanctions on a Russian financial entity for helping North Korea evade international sanctions.

The Treasury Department on Wednesday targeted the Russian Financial Society and blocked all its assets in the United States. U.S. citizens are also barred from doing business with the firm.

“Treasury continues to enforce existing U.S. and U.N. sanctions against individuals and entities in Russia and elsewhere who facilitate illicit trade with North Korea,” Treasury Undersecretary Sigal Mandelker said.

Treasury officials accused the Russian Financial Society of opening bank accounts for a North Korean company owned by the North Korean Foreign Trade Bank, and also for a representative of a second company, the Korea Zinc Industrial Group.

The bank, its Moscow representative, Han Jang Su, and Korea Zinc are already under U.S. sanctions.

Treasury said the Russian Financial Society allowed North Korea to evade sanctions to gain access to the global financial system so the country could earn revenue for the North’s nuclear program.

hosting

Hicks Won’t Talk About Trump White House in Interview

Former top White House adviser Hope Hicks was refusing to answer questions related to her time in the White House in an interview Wednesday with the House Judiciary Committee, dimming Democrats’ chances of obtaining new or substantive information about President Donald Trump as part of their investigation into obstruction of justice.  
  
Less than an hour into the interview, frustrated Democrats taking breaks from the meeting said Hicks and her lawyer were following White House orders to stay quiet about her time there working for Trump. She was answering some questions about her time on Trump’s campaign, the lawmakers said.  
  
“She’s objecting to stuff that’s already in the public record,” said California Rep. Karen Bass. “It’s pretty ridiculous.” 
 
Rep. Pramila Jayapal, D-Wash., called her answers “a farce.” California Rep. Ted Lieu tweeted about the interview, writing that Hicks refused to answer even innocuous questions such as whether she had previously testified before Congress.  
  
House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerrold Nadler, D-N.Y., declined to comment on the substance of the interview so far, saying “all I’ll say is Ms. Hicks is answering questions put to her and the interview continues.” 
 
Republicans had a different perspective, saying she was cooperative and that the interview was a waste of time. The top Republican on the panel, Georgia Rep. Doug Collins, said they were “simply talking about things that are already out there in public or getting the same answers over and over.” 
 
It was so far unclear whether Democrats would take Hicks or the administration to court to challenge the claim of immunity. In a letter Tuesday to Nadler, White House counsel Pat Cipollone wrote that Trump had directed Hicks not to answer questions “relating to the time of her service as a senior adviser to the president.” 
 
Cipollone said Hicks, as one of Trump’s former senior advisers, is “absolutely immune” from compelled testimony with respect to her service to the president because of the separation of powers between the executive and legislative branches. The White House has similarly cited broad executive privilege with respect to many of the Democrats’ investigative demands, using the president’s power to withhold information to protect the confidentiality of the Oval Office decision-making process. 
 

Democrats say they disagree that Hicks’ answers are covered by such immunity or privilege, especially since she has already cooperated with Mueller. 
 
Jayapal said that at one point Hicks started to answer a question, and the lawyers jumped in and said, “We’re starting executive.” 
 
“Basically, she can say her name,” Jayapal said. 
 
As Hicks spoke to the lawmakers, Trump tweeted that the investigation is “extreme Presidential Harassment.” He wrote that Democrats “are very unhappy with the Mueller Report, so after almost 3 years, they want a Redo, or Do Over.” 
 
The interview marks the first time lawmakers are hearing from a person linked to Trump’s inner circle since the release of Mueller’s report. Obtaining the testimony Wednesday from Hicks, a former White House communications director and a trusted former Trump aide, was a victory for the committee, given that Trump has broadly stonewalled their investigations and said he will fight “all of the subpoenas.”  
 
The Judiciary panel wanted a higher-profile interview with Hicks, subpoenaing her for public testimony. But they agreed to the private interview after negotiations. A transcript of the session will be released in the days afterward. 
 
The committee has also subpoenaed Hicks for documents, but she has only partially complied. She agreed to provide some information from her work on Trump’s campaign, but none from her time at the White House because of the administration’s objections. 

Hicks was a key witness for Mueller, delivering important information to the special counsel’s office about multiple episodes involving the president. Mueller wrote in his 448-page report released in April that there was not enough evidence to establish a criminal conspiracy between Trump’s 2016 campaign and Russia, but he said he could not exonerate Trump on obstruction of justice. The report examined several situations in which Trump attempted to influence or curtail Mueller’s investigation. 
 
Democratic aides said they planned on asking Hicks about several of those episodes, including efforts to remove Mueller from the investigation, pressure on former Attorney General Jeff Sessions and the firing of FBI Director James Comey. The aides spoke on condition of anonymity. 
 
The aides said that lawmakers also planned to ask about Hicks’ knowledge of hush-money payments orchestrated by former Trump lawyer Michael Cohen to two women who claimed to have had sexual encounters with Trump — porn actress Stormy Daniels and model Karen McDougal. Trump has denied the allegations. Cohen is now serving three years in prison partly for campaign violations related to the payments. 
 
Testimony from witnesses such as Hicks is one step in House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s methodical approach to investigating Trump. More than 60 lawmakers in her caucus — including around a dozen on the Judiciary Committee — have called for opening an impeachment inquiry, but she has said she wants committees to investigate first and decide on impeachment later. 

hosting

Pompeo Cancels Visit to Sri Lanka

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is canceling a visit to Sri Lanka during his upcoming visit to the Indo-Pacific region that includes accompanying President Donald Trump to the G-20 summit in Japan. 

The U.S. Embassy in Colombo said “unavoidable scheduling conflicts” necessitated the cancellation. The visit would have come nearly two months after the deadly Easter Sunday terror attacks that killed more than 250 people at hotels and churches. 

Pompeo “regrets that he is no longer able to visit Colombo at this time,” the embassy said in a statement. “He hopes to travel to Sri Lanka at a later date to underscore our strong partnership with Sri Lanka, which is rooted in a commitment to democracy, economic growth and a free, open Indo-Pacific region.” 

The top U.S. diplomat is traveling to India, Japan and South Korea June 24-30 to try to broaden Washington’s partnerships with allies in the Indo-Pacific region.  Trade and North Korea will be high on the agenda.  

The secretary of state’s visit to New Delhi comes after a decision by Trump to end preferential trade treatment for India amid a deepening dispute over protectionism. 

“We remain open to dialogue, and we hope that our friends in India will drop their trade barriers,” said Pompeo during a recent event at the U.S.-India Business Council.  

In New Delhi, Pompeo will discuss the U.S.-India strategic partnership with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who won re-election last month. 

The top U.S. diplomat will join Trump for the G-20 leaders’ summit, where the president is expected to meet with Chinese President Xi Jinping amid escalating trade disputes between the world’s leading economies.  

The highly anticipated Trump-Xi meeting also comes after Xi’s scheduled visit to North Korea later this week, which makes Xi the first Chinese leader to visit Pyongyang in 14 years.  

In Washington, U.S. Special Representative for North Korea Stephen Biegun said the U.S. has no preconditions for a new talk with North Korea. Negotiations have been in a “holding pattern” since a summit between Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in Hanoi in February.  

“The door is wide open to negotiations,” said Biegun at an event Wednesday at the Atlantic Council. “We expect and hope that in the not too distant future we will be re-engaged in this process in a substantive way.” 

Pompeo will join Trump in a meeting with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe on the sidelines of G-20 summit.  Following the G-20, the secretary will also accompany Trump to Seoul to meet with President Moon Jae-in, according to the State Department.  

Officials say U.S., South Korean and Japanese leaders will strengthen trilateral cooperation on a unified approach to achieve “the final, fully verified denuclearization” of North Korea. 

hosting

США ввели санкції проти російської компанії за зв’язки з КНДР

Сполучені Штати Америки ввели фінансові санкції проти російської небанківської кредитної організації «Русское финансовое общество». Про це повідомляється на сайті Міністерства фінансів США.

Зазначається, що «Русское финансовое общество» потрапило під санкції через порушення режиму санкції щодо Північної Кореї.

Російська організація відкрила кілька рахунків для компанії, що належить Банку зовнішньої торгівлі Північної Кореї. Цей банк і глава його представництва в Москві раніше були включені до списку санкцій, мовиться у повідомленні.

На сайті «Русское финансовое общество» зазначається, що воно здійснює розрахунково-касове обслуговування клієнтів та валютний контроль. Про співпрацю з КНДР нічого не вказано.

hosting

У Конгресі США закликали Facebook тимчасово заблокувати запуск власної криптовалюти

Голова комітету Палати представників Конгресу США з питань фінансових послуг Максін Уотерс закликала Facebook зачекати з запуском власної криптовалюти за кілька годин після оголошення соцмережею планів. Про це повідомляє ВВС.

Воутерс зазначила, що «зважаючи на минуле компанії» Facebook слід погодитися заблокувати проект до завершення перевірки. Вона нагадала про історію з неправомірним використанням даних користувачів соцмережі, що призвело до допитів керівництва Facebook у Конгресі.

У Facebook заявили, що очікують нагоди відповісти на питання конгресменів.

Соціальна мережа Facebook 18 червня повідомила про запуск криптовалюти під назвою Libra, яка є «дітищем» Facebook та ще 27 компаній по всьому світу.

hosting

Кількість біженців і внутрішніх переселенців у 2018 році досягла майже 71 мільйона – ООН

Число біженців і внутрішніх переселенців у 2018 році досягло 70,8 мільйонів осіб. Як зазначив Верховний комісар ООН у справах біженців Філіппо Гранді, це – новий рекорд.

Він додав, що люди біжать від насильства, війни і переслідувань, а міжнародне співтовариство не може досягти миру.

За словами Гранді, у нову доповідь включені лише офіційні дані, реальні цифри можуть бути набагато більшими. Так, наприклад, з 4 мільйонів жителів Венесуели, які залишили свою країну, лише півмільйона звернулися за притулком.

«Згідно з новою доповіддю, число переміщень сьогодні в два рази перевищує показники двадцятирічної давності. Це ще раз підтверджує довгострокову тенденцію: людей, які потребують міжнародного захисту, стає все більше», – мовиться у повідомленні.

Гранді закликав збільшити фінансування для країн, яким доводиться справлятися з потоком біженців, що постійно зростає, і зміцнювати регіональне і міжнародне співробітництво в цій галузі. Він додав, що відсутність консенсусу у Раді безпеки ООН не дозволяє ефективно долати кризові ситуації.

hosting

Експрезидента УЄФА Мішеля Платіні після допиту звільнили з-під варти – ЗМІ

Колишнього президента організації європейських футбольних асоціацій (УЄФА) Мішеля Платіні звільнили з-під варти без висунення звинувачень, повідомила агенція France-Presse з посиланням на адвоката Вільяма Бурдона.

«Багато метушні через дрібниці», – прокоментував Бурдон затримання Платіні.

Платіні був затриманий 18 червня у Франції в рамках розслідування справи про можливі корупційні порушення при виборі країни-господаря чемпіонату світу 2022 року (ним став Катар). У цій справі також допитали Клода Геана, колишнього міністра внутрішніх справ Франції в уряді президента Ніколя Саркозі.

Катар отримав право на проведення чемпіонату світу 2022 року за підсумками голосування на виконкомі міжнародної федерації футболу ФІФА в грудні 2010 року. Тоді ж право на проведення чемпіонату світу 2018 року надали Росії. Відразу після цього британські ЗМІ опублікували низку розслідувань про те, що ці рішення були ухвалені корупційним шляхом. Пізніше інформацію перевірила незалежна комісія ФІФА, яка цього не підтвердила.

hosting

У США вилучили одну з найбільших в історії країни партій кокаїну

Влада США повідомила про вилучення близько 16 тонн кокаїну на суму понад 1 мільярд доларів з корабля в порту міста Філадельфія, назвавши партію наркотиків однією з найбільших в історії США.

«Ця кількість кокаїну може вбити мільйони людей», – повідомив 18 червня прокурор Вільям МакСвейн.

За його словами, членів екіпажу судна заарештували, їм висунули звинувачення/

Повідомляється, що наркотики виявили в терміналі Packer, у семи контейнерах на борту вантажного корабля, який вирушав до Європи після зупинок в Чилі, Панамі і Багамах.

Це вилучення наркотиків є останнім у серії масових арештів партій кокаїну на східному узбережжі США. У березні влада США вилучила майже 1,5 тонни кокаїну в порту Ньюарк.

У звіті за минулий рік Агентство із боротьби з наркотиками США повідомило, що споживання кокаїну в Сполучених Штатах продовжувало зростати в 2016-2017 роках. Повідомляється, що 93% наркотиків в американському обігу, надходять із Колумбії.

hosting

Генсекретар ООН закликав Росію і Туреччину стабілізувати ситуацію в сирійській провінції Ідліб

Генеральний секретар ООН Антоніо Ґутерріш заявив, що сирійська провінція Ідліб переживає «гуманітарну катастрофу», і закликав Росію та Туреччину стабілізувати ситуацію в регіоні.

«Я глибоко стурбований ескалацією бойових дій в Ідлібі, і ситуація особливо небезпечна, з огляду на участь великої кількості дійових осіб», – заявив Ґутерріш 18 червня, закликаючи Москву і Анкару «стабілізувати ситуацію якнайшвидше».

Заступник генсекретаря ООН з гуманітарних питань Марк Лоукок заявив, що відколи 30 квітня сирійські війська почали наступ на Ідліб, близько 330 тисяч людей були змушені покинути свої домівки, а понад 230 мирних жителів загинули.

Посол Росії в ООН Василь Небензя заявив, що всі військові дії є відповіддю на «провокації з боку терористів».

«Ми вважаємо, що проблема не в тому, що це гуманітарна катастрофа. Зрозуміло, що проблема полягає в прагненні якомога довше утримувати території, які не перебувають під контролем Дамаска, незалежно від того, хто на них переважає», – сказав він.

Росія, головний союзник Сирії, і Туреччина, яка підтримала антиурядових повстанців у восьмирічній громадянській війні, торік виступили співавторами угоди про деескалацію в Ідлібі, районі на північному заході Сирії. Але угода так і не була реалізована, змусивши сотні тисяч мирних жителів тікати з Ідлібу, де останні з числа антиурядових бійців виступають проти військового наступу сирійського уряду.

hosting

Murder or Mutiny? Arguments Begin in Navy SEAL’s Court Martial in San Diego

Did decorated U.S. Navy SEAL Chief Ed Gallagher murder a teenage Islamic State fighter or is he being framed by mutinying sailors he commanded and who are testifying against him?

That is the question a seven-sailor jury must decide in Gallagher’s court martial, which began on Tuesday at the U.S. Naval Base in San Diego.

Prosecutors say Gallagher, 39, who began his 18-year career as a medic, briefly treated the young Islamic State fighter, then pulled out his knife and stabbed him in the neck several times.

Prosecutor Jeff Pietrzyk introduced a photo showing Gallagher holding the dead youth by the hair. “Then he celebrated that stabbing, celebrated the murder, when he took photos and performed his re-enlistment ceremony over that body,” Pietrzyk said.

Defense attorney Timothy Parlatore told the jury in his opening statement the prosecution cannot present a body or a crime scene and therefore no case.

“This is about a group of mutinous sailors and a sham investigation.”

Gallagher could face life in prison if convicted in the trial arising from his 2017 deployment to Mosul, Iraq.

The platoon leader is also charged with attempted murder in the wounding of two civilians – a schoolgirl and an elderly man – shot from a sniper’s perch in Iraq.

He maintains fellow SEAL team members in his platoon, who turned him in and are testifying against him under grants of immunity, are disgruntled subordinates who fabricated allegations to force him from command.

Possible pardon

The court martial has drawn national attention – including that of President Donald Trump who said last month that he is considering pardons for a number of military service members accused of war crimes, and Gallagher’s case was believed to be one of those under review.

Gallagher, a career Navy officer, was on his eighth deployment, this time to Iraq where SEALs were training Iraqi military as they pushed Islamic State fighters out of Mosul in a fight that went block by block through the war ravaged city. 

Iraqi forces came across the Islamic State fighter after he had been shot in the leg and was struggling to breathe during the fighting in Mosul. They tied him to the hood of a Humvee before driving two hours to their operating base, where he was placed on the ground and died 20 minutes later.

It was there, the prosecution says, that Gallagher stabbed the fighter to death. There’s no video from the helmet-cameras troops in the field wear, but some video was deleted, according to testimony from one of the prosecution’s witnesses, Lieutenant Thomas MacNeil. He was one of those in the group photo showing Gallagher holding the dead fighter up by hair.

“Is the photo (of the group with the dead youth) in poor taste? Probably. Is it evidence of a murder? No,” Parlatore said.

hosting