UK Chief Brexit Negotiator Says He Expects Deal by November 21

Britain’s Brexit secretary has told lawmakers that he expects a long-elusive divorce deal with the European Union to be finalized before November 21, though there is still little sign of a breakthrough on the vexed issue of the Irish border.

Dominic Raab told Parliament’s Exiting the EU Committee in a letter that he would give evidence to the panel “when a deal is finalized, and currently expect 21 November to be suitable.”

The committee released the October 24 letter Wednesday. Raab’s Department for Exiting the European Union said later “there is no set date for the negotiations to conclude” and that the secretary mentioned November 21 in response to a suggestion that he appear before the committee on that date.

Britain is due to leave the EU on March 29, but London and Brussels have not reached an agreement on their divorce terms and a smooth transition to a new relationship. The stalemate has heightened fears that the U.K. might leave without a deal in place, leading to chaos at ports and economic turmoil.

Prime Minister Theresa May has said a Brexit deal is 95 percent done, but the two sides remain at odds over the issue of the border between the U.K.’s Northern Ireland and EU member Ireland.

Britain and the EU agree there must be no customs posts or other barriers that could disrupt businesses and residents on either side of the border and undermine Northern Ireland’s hard-won peace process. But the two parties have rejected each other’s proposed solution.

Raab said in his letter that “despite our differences, we are not far from an agreement on this issue.”

He said the U.K. and the EU agree “on the principle of a U.K.-wide customs backstop” – a plan to keep the U.K. in a customs union with the bloc, rendering border checks on goods unnecessary.

Britain has said such a solution must be temporary, while the EU wants a permanent fix. But Raab said agreement should be possible, and “the end is now firmly in sight.”

An October 17-18 EU summit that had been billed as the deadline for a breakthrough ended with the talks still deadlocked. But behind-the-scenes talks have continued.

Irish Foreign Minister Simon Coveney said Wednesday in Paris that a deal in the next month was feasible, but “if they want to conclude the text of a withdrawal treaty in November, then the negotiations need to intensify.”

Any agreement reached by the two sides must be approved by the British and European parliaments. 

 

May’s proposed deal faces strong domestic opposition both from pro-Brexit lawmakers, who say it keeps Britain bound too closely to the bloc, and from pro-EU legislators, who argue it will create barriers between the U.K. and its biggest trading partner.

  

 

your ad here

Зустріч Трампа і Путіна в Парижі, «ймовірно, буде недовгою» – Болтон

Зустріч президента США Дональда Трампа і президента Росії Володимира Путіна в столиці Франції Парижі, ймовірно, не буде тривалою, заявив радник США з питань національної безпеки Джон Болтон.

«Це, ймовірно, буде недовго», – сказав Болтон.

Путін і Трамп зустрінуться під час святкування в Парижі 100-ї річниці закінчення Першої світової війни.

Востаннє президенти зустрічалися у Гельсінкі в липні цього року. Після цієї зустрічі Трампа критикували і демократи, і республіканці за його заяви про те, що він вірить Путіну, який заперечує російське втручання у вибори в США. Це суперечило висновкам американської розвідки.

your ad here

FIFA Asks Qatar Emir About Sharing World Cup With Bitter Foes

Adding 16 teams to the 2022 World Cup is about far more than sports. The head of world soccer thinks the proposal can help solve the bitter diplomatic fight between host Qatar and a Saudi Arabian-led coalition trying to isolate the tiny nation.

FIFA President Gianni Infantino has visions of the World Cup uniting the region. He says the World Cup should expand from 32 to 48 teams by playing some of the matches in stadiums in the very nations who have cut ties with Qatar and closed land, air and sea passage to and from the oil-rich nation of 2.6 million people, all but about 300,000 of them foreign workers.

Qatar will have eight stadiums to host 64 games in an already-congested 28-day window. The World Cup was moved from June-July to November-December because of the extreme heat in the Persian Gulf, and the tournament schedule was condensed to minimize the disruption to the top leagues around the world.

Adding 16 more nations would mean 80 games, and that would require more stadiums. Infantino asked the emir of Qatar if he would consider allowing matches to be held in other nations, including Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and the United Arab Emirates, all are part of an economic and travel boycott against his country.

“This is something that would probably be a nice message,” Infantino said.

When the joint bid from the United States, Canada and Mexico won the right to host the 2026 World Cup in June, a trade fight was rumbling between the North American nations. Eventually, a new trade pact was negotiated.

At the time of the 2026 vote, “the relations were a little bit tense right between these countries,” Infantino said. “It’s something that’s comparable with the Gulf region. But for me, you know if there is a possibility [of sharing games], if there is a chance at least to even discuss, we should try.”

With travel to Qatar currently blocked by its neighbors, Infantino cautions that “maybe it will never happen.” He says he brought it up with Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani of Qatar, and the emir was open to the idea.

“When we speak it remains between us of course,” Infantino said. “What is, I think, important is that he told us, `Let’s continue the discussions together and see if this can (work).”‘

Qatar’s World Cup organizing committee is wary about changing plans almost a decade in the making, and having already irritated European soccer leagues with the FIFA-imposed switch to start in November.

“We need to know pretty soon,” said Nasser Al Khater, deputy secretary general of the organizing committee. “So we need to understand basically we’re looking to change the format, increase the number of days. Can we do it with eight [stadiums] and increasing the number of days?”

The FIFA membership has already voted on expanding its showpiece even to 48 teams in 2026. Infantino has been saying since March he is considering fast-tracking those plans by four years and acknowledged there has been little progress since then.

“Obviously we cannot even start discussing anything like that in a serious way without Qatar,” Infantino said. “I was discussing with [Qatar] federation officials and also with the Emir of Qatar and they want to look at it together with us and what kind of options … sharing some matches with some other countries or not … and these kind of things. These are topics that first, of course, the Qataris, of course, have to be comfortable with. Could they do it on their own? No.”

Infantino hopes to have resolved the number of finalists by March, with the qualifying draw scheduled for next year. If new conditions are added to the 2022 schedule, a bidding process for the extra games might be necessary.

“This is all will all be part of their studies and the discussions,” Infantino said. “We’ll study it we have to make sure that we have a proper process in place.”

The decision to award the tournament to Qatar in a 2010 vote forced FIFA to deal with concerns about labor conditions for migrant workers, many building the stadiums. The bidding process for the 2026 World Cup was the first where FIFA assessed the human rights records of countries.

If Qatar’s neighbors joined in hosting games in 2022, human rights conditions would come into focus again.

“This will obviously be part of discussions,” Infantino said. “Without the decision to go to Qatar would anything have changed? Who knows?But certainly, the fact that there was a World Cup in the spotlight for everyone has contributed to the fact that we are going, we’re speaking to them and we’re trying to tell them, `Guys try at least to change and so on.”‘

The United Arab Emirates already has close ties to FIFA, hosting the Club World Cup again in Abu Dhabi in December.

Saudi Arabia would be keen on joining the 2022 World Cup but it has angered soccer federations by hosting a television network that has allegedly been pirating Qatar’s beIN Sports since the boycott of Doha began in 2017.

A partnership with the Saudis could also be problematic in the fallout from the killing of Saudi writer Jamal Khashoggi after he entered the country’s consulate in Istanbul on October 2.

“There are other countries in the region as well,” Infantino said, when asked about Saudi Arabia.

Qatar is still waiting for a proper consultation process to begin.

“Right now, as of today, we’re hosting a 32 team World Cup,” Al Khater said. “Our infrastructure, our stadiums are all based on the 32-team World Cup. That’s as much as we know and that’s as much as it’s confirmed by now.”

your ad here

Держдепартамент США закликав Росію забезпечити доступ ОБСЄ до сходу України

Спеціальна моніторингова місія ОБСЄ раніше втратила свій безпілотник, спостерігаючи за колоною техніки поблизу кордону з Росією

your ad here

Помпео і Меттіс закликали припинити військові дії в Ємені

Державний секретар Сполучених Штатів Майк Помпео закликав до припинення військового протистояння між повстанцями-хуситами та об’єднаною коаліцією в Ємені. Таку заяву він поширив увечері 30 жовтня.

«Настав час зупинити прояви військові дії, в тому числі нальоти із застосуванням ракет та безпілотних апаратів з підконтрольних Хуті районів на королівство Саудівської Аравії та Об’єднані Арабські Емірати. Після цього коаліція має припинити авіаційні удари по всіх населених районах Ємена», – заявив Помпео.

На користь мирного врегулювання ситуації в Ємені висловився також міністр оборони США Джим Меттіс.

Виступаючи у Вашингтоні 30 жовтня, він сказав, що всі сторони конфлікту мають вдатися до значущих кроків для припинення вогню та початку перемов протягом наступного місяця.

«Ми мусимо рухатись до боротьби за мир. І не можна казати, що ми зробимо це колись у майбутньому. Ми маємо робити це протягом наступних 30 днів», – вважає Меттіс.

За словами Помпео, заплановані спеціальним послом ООН з питань Ємену Мартіном Гріффітсом консультації мають початися в листопаді. Вони матимуть на меті впровадження заходів, що посилюватимуть загальну довіру і дозволять усунути засадничі причини конфлікту, а також демілітаризацію кордонів із акцентом на важкому озброєнні під міжнародним наглядом.

Ємен – одна з найбідніших арабських країн, де вже чотири роки триває війна між повстанським рухом Хуті та урядом, який підтримують Саудівська Аравія, Об’єднані Арабські Емірати та країни Заходу.

Читайте також: Понад 5 мільйонам дітей в Ємені загрожує голод – Save the Children​

Дедалі більше членів Конгресу вимагають від адміністрації Трампа відкликати військовий контингент США з цієї війни. Така тенденція лише посилилася через інформацію про причетність влади Саудівської Аравії до вбивства журналіста, дописувача Washington Post та мешканця Сполучених Штатів Джамаля Хашокджі.

Конфлікт у Ємені триває з кінця 2014 року, після того, як повстанці руху Хуті захопили столицю Ємену, місто Сану. З метою відновлення уряду президента Абд-Раббу Мансура Хаді у 2015 році була сформована коаліція під проводом Саудівської Аравії. В результаті бойових дій загинули близько 10 тисяч людей.

За даними ООН, через конфлікт 22 мільйони людей потребують гуманітарної допомоги. В організації вважають, що гуманітарна криза в Ємені нині є найгострішою у світі.

your ad here

На аукціоні Sotheby’s продадуть зібрані СРСР зразки з поверхні Місяця

Аукціон Sotheby’s оголосив 30 жовтня, що виставить на торги зразки місячної породи, привезені на Землю безпілотною космічною місією СРСР у 1970 році. Організатори очікують, що ціна лота становитиме від 700 тисяч до 1 мільйона доларів.

Зразки породи, які будуть виставлені на аукціоні в Нью-Йорку 29 листопада, є єдиними відомими зразками з Місяця, які на законних підставах доступні для приватних власників.

Скелі включають фрагменти базальту, схожі на земну вулканічну породу, а також місячний ґрунт, реголіт. Вік зразків науковці оцінюють приблизно у 3,4 мільярда років.

Нинішнім власником є неназваний приватний американський колекціонер, який придбав їх у 1993 році у Ніни Корольової, вдови легендарного керівника радянської космічної програми Сергія Королева.

Фрагменти мають невеликий розмір – від 2 на 2 до 1 на 1 міліметри. Радянський Союз подарував їх Корольовій на знак визнання внеску її покійного чоловіка в космічну програму.

Багаті колекціонери готові платити величезні суми за космічні артефакти. Торік Sotheby’s заробив 1,8 мільйона доларів за сумку-контейнер з рештками місячного пилу, яку американський астронавт Нілом Армстронґ використовував під час першої пілотованої місії на Місяць у 1969 році.

your ad here

Верховний суд Пакистану скасував смертний вирок християнці, звинуваченій у богохульстві

Верховний суд Пакистану 31 жовтня скасував звинувачення проти 53-річної християнської жінки, яка була засуджена в нижчих інстанціях до страти в справі про богохульство. Ця справа привернула увагу в багатьох країнах світу і спричинила смертельне насильство в самому Пакистані.

Голова суду Сакіб Нізар скасував вирок суду в місті Лагор, який у 2010 році засудив до смертної кари Асію Бібі, матір чотирьох дітей. Суд наказав звільнити Бібі, вона перебуває нині в таємному місці з міркувань безпеки.

Засудження і смертний вирок Бібі обурили християн у всьому світі. Натомість ісламісти в Пакистані погрожують започаткувати загальнодержавні протести через звільнення цієї жінки, вони наполягають на її страті. У 2011 році через підтримку Асії Бібі були вбиті губернатор провінції та міністр у справах меншин.

Підставою для рішення судів нижчих інстанцій у справі Асії Бібі стало те, що жінки-мусульманки із її села засвідчили, ніби обвинувачувана сказала принизливі слова про засновника ісламу пророка Магомета.

Правозахисники закликають видалити з Кримінального кодексу Пакистану смертний вирок за богохульство. За їхніми словами, ця стаття сприяє посиленню релігійного екстремізму в країні.

У правозахисній організації Human Rights Watch вказують, що закони про богохульство у Пакистані застосовують передусім до спільнот, які найчастіше потерпають від соціальної та політичної дискримінації у Пакистані, зокрема, релігійних меншин.

your ad here

Mattis Says Afghan Forces Suffered 1,000 Casualties in August and September

Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis provided a rare look into the ground situation for Afghans fighting the Taliban, revealing late Tuesday that Afghan forces had suffered more than 1,000 casualties in August and September of this year.

“The Afghan lads are doing the fighting, just look at the casualties…over 1,000 dead and wounded in August and September, and they stayed in the field fighting,” Mattis said during a discussion at the U.S. Institute of Peace.

Despite the high casualty numbers, Mattis praised the Afghan forces for preventing the Taliban from taking and holding district and provincial centers and stopping them from disrupting the recent Afghan election.

U.S. defense officials stopped providing the public with the number of Afghan security force casualties in late 2017. 

General Joseph Dunford, the top U.S. general, told military reporters at a conference outside Washington on Friday that this change was because Afghan President Ashraf Ghani did not want those details publicly available. 

“I’m not blaming him. That’s where it came from,” Dunford said. “They (Afghan officials) were incredibly sensitive about those numbers. We don’t own the numbers anymore.”

Last month, the governor of Baghlan province, north of Kabul, told the New York Times the Taliban was inflicting heavy casualties on Afghan security forces.

“The Taliban don’t want peace, because they think they can win the war,” Governor Abdul Hai Nimati said. “If it goes on like this, they are going to win.”

Dunford and Mattis both asserted that the regional strategy for political reconciliation with the Taliban is making progress. 

“it is working from our perspective, but what is heartbreakingly difficult to accept is that progress and violence can be going on at the same time,” Mattis said.

According to Dunford, while the number of U.S. and international forces in Afghanistan has dropped from 140,000 to 15,000 since 2013, the security situation has not become markedly worse.

“This is about making incremental progress over time,” the general said.

your ad here