149 African Migrants Evacuated From Libya to Italy

The U.N. refugee agency says it has evacuated 149 refugees and asylum-seekers from the strife-torn Libyan capital of Tripoli and brought them to safety in Italy.

UNHCR transported the evacuees to a site near Rome, it said Thursday. The evacuees — from Eritrea, Somalia, Sudan and Ethiopia — included 65 children. Thirteen were younger than a year old.

The evacuees had spent months in grave conditions in detention centers in Tripoli, UNHCR said. With the security situation worsening, the U.N. collaborated with Libyan and Italian authorities to move them. 

Somalia’s ambassador to Libya, Muhiyadin Mohamed Kalmoy, said that amid Tripoli’s volatility, UNHCR was better able than foreign diplomats to locate African refugees and move them to safety. 

“The Somalis who were among the evacuees were indirectly contacting us about their situation,” Kalmoy told VOA’s Somali Service on Friday, “but we had no official contact from UNHCR regarding those evacuated to Rome.” 

Kalmoy said his government was working “to secure and prove the identity of our Somali citizens” and to help UNHCR and the International Organization for Migration (IOM) process cases so individuals could return “to Somalia or a third hosting country.”

He said he did not know how many Somalis were among the evacuees.

Kalmoy said his government estimated some 5,000 to 6,000 Somalis overall have migrated to Libya, noting “nobody knows the exact number since it is open border.” He said the government, working with IOM, has returned “more than 200 of them who wanted to go back home.”

‘Dire living conditions’

The ambassador said he worried about the safety of Somalis remaining in detention centers in southern and western parts of Tripoli. 

“There still [are a] good number of African migrants stranded in southern and southwestern parts of Tripoli, including Somalis,” Kalmoy said. “They always contact us and tell us that they are in dire living conditions and would like to be sent back to their home countries.

“There is still a ruthless network of smugglers holding a large number of African migrants they had kidnapped. We are always hearing very painful stories from them,” he added.

Many of those evacuated Thursday suffer from malnourishment, according to Jean-Paul Cavalieri, UNHCR chief of mission in Libya. They were to receive food, clothing and medical care, then were to be transported to Norway with help from IOM.

Their evacuation followed another one earlier this week, in which 62 urban refugees from Syria, Sudan and Somalia were transferred from Tripoli to UNHCR’s Emergency Transit Center in Timisoara, Romania, the agency reported.

Nearly 600 people have died in recent clashes in Libya, according to the World Health Organization. Last week, two ambulance drivers were killed in shelling attacks.

your ad here

Загострення в Сирії: 948 загиблих у провінції Ідліб

Ескалація боїв протягом останнього місяця в сирійській провінції Ідліб призвела до загибелі 948 людей, близько третини з них – цивільні, заявила Сирійська обсерваторія з моніторингу прав людини 31 травня.

За даними організації, за період з 30 квітня внаслідок обстрілів сирійських та російських військових загинули 288 цивільних, з них 67 – діти. Зокрема 22 цивільних, з яких десятеро – діти, загинули внаслідок збройних дій на території, яку контролює режим президета Башара Асада.

Читайте також: Бельгія видала Росії підозрюваного в боях за «ІД» у Сирії

У вересні Туреччина і Росія уклали угоду, яка мала на меті зменшити повномасштабне протистояння в провінції Ідліб та прилеглих територіях, що перебували під контролем екстремістського угруповання «Гейят Тахрір аш-Шам», пов’язаної з «Аль-Каїдою».

Однак режим Асада та Росія, яка його підтримує, посилили авіаційні та ракетні удари на позиції бойовиків, а на межах утримуваних екстремістськими організаціями територій сталися сутички.

За даними Організації об’єднаних націй, близько 270 тисяч людей змушені були залишити свої домівки внаслідок бойових дій з кінця квітня. В окремих районах гуманітарні організації змушені були зупинити роботу.

Читайте також: США звинуватили Асада і Росію в атаках на школи і лікарні в Сирії

Речник Кремля Дмитро Пєсков 31 травня заявив, що бойовики та їхні союзники мусять припинити напади на підконтрольні Асаду території, щоб досягнути припинення вогню.

«Припинення вогню в Ідлібі необхідне, а також необхідно, щоб терористи припинили стріляти по цивільних об’єктах, а також об’єктах, де розміщені наші військові – в тому числі по Хмейміму», – сказав Пєсков.

У Сирії з 2011 року триває громадянська війна, в результаті якої загинули більше 400 000 людей. Росія, втрутившись в цей конфлікт, надає в ньому підтримку президенту Сирії Башару Асаду – режиму якого значна частина світу, і західного, і арабського, відмовила в легітимності.

your ad here

МАГАТЕ заявляє, що Іран продовжує виконувати ядерну угоду

Міжнародна агенція з атомної енергії ООН заявляє, що Іран продовжує виконувати умови ядерної угоди 2015 року.

У щоквартальному звіті МАГАТЕ йдеться, що Іран надав інспекторам необмежений доступ до іранських ядерних об’єктів.

«Усі центрифуги та пов’язана з ними інфраструктура зберігаються під постійним моніторингом», – заявили в МАГАТЕ.

Договір про припинення ядерної програми Ірану в обмін на пом’якшення міжнародних санкцій у 2015 році підписали Сполучені Штати Америки, Британія, Франція, Німеччина, Китай та Росія. У 2018 році США в односторонньому порядку вийшли з угоди, звинувативши Іран в її порушенні. Позиції США та інших країн, які підписали угоду, розійшлися.

8 травня президент США Дональд Трамп оголосив про нові санкції проти Ірану. Вони стосуються виробництва сталі, алюмінію, міді й заліза. При цьому документ передбачає обмеження як проти виробників металів у самому Ірані, так і проти тих, хто ними торгує.

your ad here

D-Day Ceremony Spotlights Trump’s Complicated Military Ties

World leaders will gather in solemn assembly next week above the sandy beaches of Normandy to mark the 75th anniversary of the world-changing D-Day invasion of France. It’s typically a heartfelt tribute to alliance and sacrifice and a unified vow for enduring unity, outweighing any national or political skirmish of the moment.

That’s what has some U.S. veterans and others worried about President Donald Trump’s attendance. The president has shown a repeated willingness to inject nationalistic rhetoric and political partisanship into moments once aimed at unity. For Trump, there is no water’s edge for politics, no veneer of nonpartisanship around military or national security matters.

The president, who did not serve in the military before becoming commander in chief, has feuded with Gold Star families, blasted political opponents on foreign soil, and mocked Sen. John McCain, a prisoner of war, for being captured by the enemy. Trump’s antipathy for the late senator was so well known that the White House this week requested that the Navy keep the USS McCain out of the president’s line of sight during a recent trip to Japan, so as not to rile the president.

It’s a pattern that is set to get more scrutiny in coming days, as Trump heads overseas for the D-Day memorial where he will be joined at the service by, among others, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, a Democrat whom he has called “crazy Nancy” and warned not to try to impeach him.

“It’s unfortunate we have to be even concerned that this historic commemoration will be overly politicized, but this is the command climate he’s created and the reality we have,” said Paul Rieckhoff, founder and former head of the Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America. “We have to send our president. You go with the president we’ve got, and this is the president we’ve got. So we’re rightfully holding our breath for an event like this.”

More than 9,000 Americans died in the D-Day operation that marked a turning point in World War II, beginning the Allied push to drive the Nazis out of France and eventually Europe. On a bluff overlooking Omaha Beach, rows of white crosses and the Stars of David stretch as far as the eye can see — markers of sacrifices.

The president missed the other significant military commemoration of his term.

In November, also in France, Trump scuttled plans to honor the 100th anniversary of the end of World War I at Aisne-Marne American Cemetery. The White House said the president’s helicopter could not make it to the site because of bad weather. It did not explain why Trump could not make the 50-mile drive. His absence set off howls from many veterans.

Trump blamed the Secret Service and the next day went to a different cemetery outside Paris.

In recent days, he visited Arlington National Cemetery and spent Memorial Day on a naval ship in Japan.

“You are the ones keep going and striving, and keeping America safe, and strong, and proud, and free,” Trump said during the visit. He also wished everyone a “Happy Memorial Day,” a greeting some find off-key for a holiday dedicated to honoring dead servicemembers.

Ahead of the trip, the White House told the U.S. Navy to keep the warship rededicated in honor of Sen. McCain out of sight of the president. The president denied knowing about the request but said the gesture was “well-meaning” because he was no fan of McCain, a prisoner of war whom Trump once mocked by saying he preferred soldiers who “weren’t captured.”

Trump also sided with North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un over criticism of former Vice President Joe Biden. Some veteran groups were pleased that Trump was attending the D-Day commemoration but urged him to leave the political broadsides at home.

“In situations like these, it’s best for President Trump to focus on his positive vision for reforming the Department of Veterans Affairs and advocating for a more restrained foreign policy,” said Dan Caldwell, a senior adviser for the conservative Concerned Veterans for America.

Plenty of previous presidents have embraced the military, identifying themselves with its power and patriotism. But Trump’s relationship with the armed forces — and the families of individual soldiers — has at times been uniquely fraught.

As a candidate, he feuded with the parents of Capt. Humayun Khan, who was killed in Iraq, and as president clashed with the mother of Sgt. La David Johnson, who died in Niger.

Though Trump has been a boisterous cheerleader for the Pentagon, he is part of a recent trend of commanders-in-chief who did not serve in the military. He received a deferment that allowed him to not serve in Vietnam War due to bone spurs, but has been unable to remember in which foot, leading to accusations of draft dodging, including this week from 2020 rivals.

“You have somebody who thinks it’s all right to let somebody go in his place into a deadly war and is willing to pretend to be disabled in order to do it,” said Democrat Pete Buttigieg, the mayor of South Bend, Indiana, who served as a Navy intelligence officer in Afghanistan. “That is an assault on the honor of this country.”

And while a number of veterans groups have applauded Trump’s efforts to improve mental and physical health care to former officers, many of those same organizations sharply criticized Trump’s recent consideration to pardon several American military members accused of war crimes, including headline-grabbing cases of shooting unarmed civilians and killing an enemy captive.

“It is mind-blowing that these are the persons this administration is considering for pardons,” said Kristofer Goldsmith, an associate director for policy at Vietnam Veterans of America, one of several veterans’ groups that oppose the pardons.

Trump considered issuing the pardons for Memorial Day but later said he may wait for some trials to conclude. But his international trips have repeatedly been interrupted by distractions back home, and many around him fear that even a solemn World War II observance may not be enough to prevent the president from tweeting an attack at special counsel Robert Mueller or escalating tensions with his hosts, outgoing British Prime Minister Theresa May or French president Emmanuel Macron.

your ad here

ВООЗ розслідує спалах ВІЛ у Пакистані

Всесвітня організація охорони здоров’я розпочала розслідування спалаху вірусу імунодефіциту людини (ВІЛ) у бідній провінції Сінд на півдні Пакистану.

Директор програми з протидії ВІЛ/СНІДу в провінції Сінд Сікандар Мемом 1 травня повідомив пакистанській редакції Радіо Свобода, що команда ВООЗ шукатиме причину росту кількості захворювань у місцевості Рато Деро в районі Ларака. Протягом останніх тижнів там було виявлено сотні нових ВІЛ-позитивних людей, більшість із них – діти.

Читайте також: Рівень поширення ВІЛ серед молоді в Україні знижується – МОЗ

Мемон заявив, що його департамент провів тестування на ВІЛ-статус для 25 тисяч людей з кінця квітня та виявив 725 людей, з них – 590 дітей.

За словами старшого суперінтенданта поліції району Ларкана  Масуда Бангаша, найбільш імовірно, що захворювання поширюється через повторно використані шприци.​

Він повідомив, що одного лікаря заарештували та висунули звинувачення у повторному використанні шприців. Бангаш припустив, що до спалаху можуть бути причетні і кілька інших лікарів. Попереднє розслідування визначило, що зараження не було навмисним, додав він.

Читайте також: Вчені заявляють про другий в історії успішний випадок лікування ВІЛ​

За даними ВООЗ, близько 150 тисяч людей в Пакистані мають ВІЛ-позитивний статус. При цьому лише 8% дорослих і 13% дітей із цим статусом приймають антиретровірусну терапію, яка знижує вірусне навантаження.

Близько 37 мільйонів людей у всьому світі зараз інфіковані ВІЛ, а пандемія СНІДу від початку 1980-х років призвела до загибелі близько 35 мільйонів людей.

your ad here

Russian, Japanese Leaders to Meet on Sidelines of G-20 Summit

Russian President Vladimir Putin and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe will meet next month on the sidelines of a summit of world leaders in Japan.

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said Friday the two leaders agreed to discuss joint economic activities as a way to resolve a decades-long territorial dispute.

At issue is the sovereignty of four Russian-held western Pacific islands called the Northern Territories in Japan and Southern Kuriles in Russia.

The former Soviet Union seized the islands at the end of World War II, a move Tokyo claims was illegal. The seizure resulted in a long-running diplomatic dispute and created an obstacle to a peace treaty.

Lavrov, speaking to reporters after a meeting in Tokyo with Japanese counterpart Taro Kono, said progress had been made in talks with Japan on a handful of economic projects on the islands. He did not elaborate.

Abe had previously planned to negotiate the return of two of the smallest islands at the upcoming meeting, but decided instead to hold talks on joint economic activities on the islands as a trust-building exercise with hopes of eventually producing a peace treaty.

The two leaders will meet in Osaka on June 29, the last day of a two-day summit of the Group of 20 (G-20) nations, which represents “a mix of the world’s largest advanced and emerging economies.”

your ad here

З фільму про Елтона Джона в Росії вирізали сцени з одностатевим сексом і наркотиками

У російському прокаті з біографічного фільму про Елтона Джона вирізали сцени з одностатевим сексом, наркотиками і чоловічими поцілунками. Про це на прем’єрі фільму «Рокетмен» у московському кінотеатрі «Жовтень» заявив ведучий телеканалу «Дождь» Михайло Козирєв. Кінокритики, які дивилися фільм на Каннському фестивалі, підтвердили цю інформацію.

У російській версії, прокат якої здійснює «Централ партнершип», немає, зокрема, сцени з голими Елтоном Джоном і його менеджером Джоном Райдом. Із титрів також зник слайд зі словами про те, що музикант зустрів свою любов, і фото Елтона Джона з чоловіком.

Американсько-британський фільм «Рокетмен», що розповідає про юність Елтона Джона і перші серйозні прориви в його кар’єрі, виходить у російський прокат 6 червня. Музикант наполягав на тому, щоб із нього нічого не вирізали, писала газета The Guardian.

Це не перший випадок, коли іноземні фільми в Росії зазнають цензури або стикаються з труднощами в прокаті через присутність у них персонажів-геїв.

Представники Мінкультури Росії 31 травня, на наступний день після прем’єри фільму в Росії, заявили, що відомство «не давало ніяких рекомендацій прокатнику». «Ніяких рекомендацій з приводу видалення сцен із зазначеної картини Мінкультури Росії не давало, це виключно рішення компанії-прокатника стрічки», – цитують російські новинні агенції слова представника Мінкультури Росії.

Елтон Джон – один із найуспішніших британських співаків і музикантів XX століття, за всю свою кар’єру він продав у США і Великій Британії більше альбомів, ніж будь-який інший британський соло-виконавець.

Фільм про британського музиканта зняв режисер Декстер Флетчер, головну роль в картині зіграв британський актор Терон Еджертон.

 

 

your ad here

Косово оголосило росіянина-співробітника ООН персоною нон-ґрата

Влада Косова оголосила співробітника ООН з Росії Михайла Краснощокова персоною нон-ґрата і наказала вислати його з країни. Про це 31 травня повідомив прем’єр-міністр країни Рамуш Харадінай.

За його словами, він наказав міністерству закордонних справ негайно оголосити Краснощокова небажаною особою в країні. Харадінай також закликав спеціального представника генерального секретаря ООН у Косові діяти згідно з цим рішенням.

Читайте також: У Косові заявили про затримання росіянина, який «маскувався під дипломата»

Водночас у січні 2019 року генеральний секретар ООН Атоніу Ґутерріш оприлюднив заяву у зв’язку з суперечкою в Сомалі, заявивши, що «доктрина статусу нон-ґрата не застосовується до штатних працівників ООН».

Краснощокова затримали 28 травня внаслідок низки поліцейських рейдів на півночі країни, де переважно проживають серби. В процесі рейду заарештували 19 офіцерів поліції за підозрою у «злочинній діяльності», тоді як Краснощокова, ще одного члена місії ООН і шістьох етнічних сербів затримали за підозрою в перешкоджанні поліцейській операції. В ході арешту він отримав поранення.

Краснощокова швидко звільнили і надали йому медичну допомогу в госпіталі у Північній Мітровиці. Згодом його переправили до Військової медичної академії у Белграді, столиці сусідньої Сербії.

Посол Росії в Сербії Олександр Чепурін 31 травня відвідав Краснощокова в лікарні і назвав цей інцидент «варварством і звірством».

Міністр закордонних справ Росії Сергій Лавров цього ж дня, виступаючи в Токіо, назвав дії косовських правоохоронців «абсолютно неприйнятними».

«Їхні спроби позбавити нашого представника його повноважень і статусу, які мають працівники місії ООН, є дуже серйозною проблемою. Представники ООН повинні на це відповісти», – заявив Лавров.

Косово проголосило незалежність від Сербії у 2008 році. Її визнає більшість країн Заходу, включно зі Сполученими Штатами, не визнали незалежності Сербія і Росія. Україна також не визнала незалежність Косова.

Євросоюз намагається переконати Белград і Приштину нормалізувати відносини, проте поки що переговори не дали істотних результатів.

your ad here